top of page
  • Donna Caneleo MARN 1803967

Bridging Visas

Can I travel overseas whilst my visa application is processing?

If you are a temporary visa holder in Australia wanting to travel overseas but need to lodge a new visa application before your current visa expires, you need to understand Australian Bridging Visas.

Bridging Visa A

If you lodge a valid visa application while you are the holder of a substantive visa in Australia, you may be eligible for a Bridging Visa A (BVA) (subject to eligibility criteria being met), which will come into effect automatically when your current visa expires. This will allow you to remain lawfully in Australia whilst your new visa application is processed and finalised.

A BVA does not allow travel overseas and will be automatically cancelled when you depart Australia. You will then need to remain overseas until your application is finalised or you apply for and are granted a different visa.

Bridging Visa B

To prevent this from happening, you need to apply for and be granted a Bridging Visa B (BVB) before departing Australia. The BVB allows you to remain lawfully in Australia but also includes permission to leave and return to Australia within a defined travel period (subject to eligibility criteria being met). This means you could then travel overseas and return to Australia whilst your visa application is being processed.

It is important to remember that you can only be granted a BVB if you are the holder of a BVA and once your BVB expires, you lose the travel facility and will need to apply for and be granted another BVB before travelling overseas again.

Contact one of our Registered Migration Agents today and let us help ensure you can legally depart and return to Australia.

Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case-specific information or advice, please contact SCA Connect.

10 views0 comments


Featured Posts
bottom of page