top of page
  • Jenny Murphy MARN 0852535

What is a partner visa?

The Australian Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801) is a visa for people who are married to, or in a de facto relationship with, an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. It allows the partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to live in Australia temporarily or permanently.

To be eligible for this visa, you must be:

  • married to, or in a de facto relationship with, an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen

  • at least 18 years of age

  • not related to your partner by blood in a way that would prohibit marriage (in other words, you must not be in a prohibited relationship)

To apply for this visa, you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your partner. This can include:

  • evidence of your marriage (such as a marriage certificate)

  • evidence of your de facto relationship (such as joint bank statements, utility bills, and other documents that show you are living together

It's important to note that the Australian Partner Visa is a two-stage process. Initially, you will be granted a Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820), which allows you to live in Australia for two years. After two years, if you are still in a committed relationship with your partner, the Department will require further evidence to make a decision on a Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801).

You can obtain further information about the above process by contacting one of our Registered Migration Agents today.

Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case-specific information or advice, please contact SCA Connect.

16 views0 comments


Featured Posts
bottom of page