top of page
  • Jenny Murphy MARN 0852535

Are you travelling overseas soon? Understanding your Bridging Visa

Do you have a pending visa application but planning on travelling overseas for the Christmas and Summer holidays?

Don’t leave it to the last minute to check your visa status and right to travel overseas. Here is a brief guide to understanding bridging visas and travel rights.

You have lodged a visa application whilst in Australia and have been granted a Bridging Visa A.

Your bridging visa will only come into effect once your substantive visa expires. Your bridging visa A allows you to remain in Australia whilst your application is being decided but does not allow you travel overseas and return to Australia.

Before travelling you must obtain a Bridging Visa B for the period of travel. You must be granted a Bridging Visa B before travelling. We usually recommend this is obtained 2-3 weeks prior to travel to avoid any delays or issues in departing and returning to Australia.

If your application is an online application the Bridging Visa B application can be made online.

If you depart Australia on a Bridging Visa A, your Bridging Visa A will cease when you depart Australia.

What are my options to travel if I hold a Bridging Visa C,D or E?

Unfortunately if you have been granted a Bridging Visa C,D or E you are unable to apply for a Bridging Visa B. If you depart Australia, you will not be able to return to Australia on your Bridging Visa. The Bridging Visa will cease once you depart Australia. This can impact your pending visa application as well future options in Australia, depending on your circumstances.

Our Services

SCA Connect can assist you in obtaining a Bridging Visa B or provide consultation regarding your options if you hold another type of Bridging Visa.

The key is to have the correct information and know your options before you book overseas travel or depart the country. Don’t be stranded overseas these holidays, consult one of our Registered Migration Agents today.

Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case specific information or advice, please contact SCA Connect.

27 views0 comments
Featured Posts
bottom of page