top of page
  • Jenny Murphy MARN 0852535

Navigating Partner Migration - Exploring Your Visa Alternatives

partner migration

If you find yourself in a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, it's worthwhile to delve into the visa possibilities offered through partner migration. To initiate a partner application, you must either be legally married or in a de-facto relationship, sponsored by your Australian citizen, permanent resident partner, or eligible New Zealand citizen partner.

If in a defacto relationship, you must demonstrate either of the following:


1. Having lived together for 12 months, accompanied by proof of the genuine and ongoing nature of your relationship.


2. Registering your relationship with Births Deaths and Marriages, accompanied by proof of the genuine and ongoing nature of your relationship.


Partner migration typically involves a two-stage process. Both the provisional and permanent partner applications are submitted at the initial stage. The Department of Home Affairs generally processes the application through a two-stage decision process.

The temporary partner visa allows the visa holder to reside, work, and study in Australia while the permanent partner visa application undergoes processing. The second stage, the permanent stage, necessitates the submission of additional evidence by the applicant and sponsor to affirm the continued genuineness of their relationship. This evidence can be provided two years after the initial visa application lodgement.

For further information, please contact one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents today.

Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case-specific information or advice, please get in touch with SCA Connect.

42 views0 comments


Featured Posts
bottom of page