top of page
  • Donna Caneleo MARN 1803967

Reciprocal Healthcare Agreements

Reciprocal healthcare agreements are arrangements between countries that allow citizens of one country to access certain healthcare services in another country for a limited time. These agreements are designed to provide access to healthcare for individuals who are temporarily living or traveling abroad.

In Australia, there are reciprocal healthcare agreements with several countries, including Belguim, Finland, Italy, Malta, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, New Zealand, The Republic of Ireland, Norway, Slovenia and Sweden, and the Netherlands. These agreements allow citizens of these countries to access Medicare, Australia's public healthcare system, while they are in Australia.

To be eligible for Medicare under a reciprocal healthcare agreement, individuals must hold a passport from one of the participating countries and must be in Australia for a limited time, usually for the purpose of work or study. They are also required to have a valid Medicare card from their home country.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements can be beneficial for individuals who are temporarily living or working in Australia, as they allow them to access healthcare services at the same cost as Australian citizens. However, it's important to note that these agreements do not provide the same level of coverage as private health insurance and do not cover all healthcare services.

Overall, reciprocal healthcare agreements are an important aspect of healthcare access for temporary residents in Australia and can help ensure that individuals have access to necessary medical care while in the country.

Whether you are looking to travel to Australia for a short-term stay or plan to live here long-term, our Registered Migration Agents can assess your eligibility for a range of visas and provide advice on the best pathway to achieve your migration goals. Contact one of our agents today.

Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case-specific information or advice, please contact SCA Connect.

6 views0 comments


Featured Posts
bottom of page